Welcome to the middle of the week!
Mid Week Tease is an event where authors are spotlighting a few lines or a paragraph or two from their stories. Readers, you get to sample some delicious snippets and be teased, titillated and tantalized into the weekend!
My contribution to MWT this week is from an erotic urban fantasy story I've written and submitted (inbox stalking has commenced! & I'm keeping my fingers crossed it gets accepted) called Open World - a C.O.V.E.N. story. This book continues with the world I created in AFK, my story in the Evernight Publishing anthology, Keyboards & Kink. Enjoy!
* Thinking a shortcut was in order, Hope slipped into a long alleyway. She hurried in the dark shadows, keeping her focus on a flickering street lamp at the end.
* Metal tinged behind her, followed by heavy footsteps.
* Hope picked up her pace, but didn’t run and didn’t look back.
* Ruby warned me. Told me not to go out alone after a shift or go down the alley even though it was a shortcut. She chastised herself for not remembering the woman’s advice, for letting her guard down.
* The footfalls picked up their cadence behind her.
* Hope’s heart fluttered. Fleeting memories ran across her mind—sound of scratching, stench of rotting meat, pointed canines dripping crimson liquid. She racked her mind for information. They’re called… They’re called… CWUs. Dangerous creatures that could change one forever.
* Den. The man she thought of when she met Ruby. Her man. My boyfriend. He’d told me that CWUs were worse than vampires. Which was following her? She had no clue and didn’t want to find out.
* Her friend would have her head if she knew she had put herself in a dangerous situation. She began to trot and her pursuers followed suit.
* All too soon a hand grabbed her hair and yanked her back into a vice like grip. A rough, calloused palm slapped over her mouth. She couldn’t scream and could barely move. Her eyes widened when a second man appeared into view in front of her. His long coat, shirt and pants had tears and long rips. When he leered at her, he had four fangs protruding from both the top and bottom of his jaw. He wasn’t a zombie looking rogue vampire—a main descriptor for CWUs. His mouth appeared illuminated with strange orange and red glowing streams. There was a shroud of shimmering gray around his head and arms.
* Definitely not a CWU. Just a vampire. Guess that’s good, but I’m still in trouble.
Find out more about AFK here: AFK: Keyboards & Kink
Visit these other wonderful authors for more MWT goodness!